You are here



Congratulations on deciding to continue your education.  Please use the following resources and if you need additional help, your probation officer will be happy to assist you with this important matter.  A great place to start is the Literacy Network (608) 244-3911.


If you're interested in pursuing a High School Equivalency (HSED), which has replaced the GED test.  Please visit the Department of Public Instruction's Website.   There you can find local education and testing centers that will help you achieve your goal.


Vocational training opportunities frequently change.  Your Probation Officer may be able to help you find a program that is right for you.  Apprenticeships involve learning a trade through paid work and learning and there are many kinds of apprenticeships available.  Information about Union apprenticeships and how to apply can be found here:  WI Department of Workforce Development.  If you are a veteran, additional apprenticeship opportunities can be found here:  Veteran Apprenticeship Resources.


For those interested in pursuing a college degree, the best place to start is your local community college.  Wisconsin's Technical Colleges offer affordable, quality educations and some of them have specific programs for ex-offenders.  They will help you determine what admissions test is needed, choose a field of study, and apply for financial aid.  Remember, there are specific state and federal deadlines for filing Student Aid applications.  More information about the FAFSA (Free Application for Sutdent Aid) can be found at Federal Student Aid.